Since my husband’s family comes from Sicily and Calabria which a region in Southern Italy actually forming “the toe” of the Italian peninsula, delicious Italian food is always being prepared in our home. When I married my husband, I assumed that I would have a hard time coming up with Italian dishes, but to tell you the truth, it’s been the complete opposite. This is why I decided to make a yummy Italian dish and share the recipe with you guys! This dish is very similar to a Caponata Siciliana, but with a slight variation. Here’s the recipe to a delicious Sicilian pasta:
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Yields: 8-10 servings
Chopped fresh basil
½ cup of celery
1 Large eggplant (chopped into cubes)
1 (15 oz) can of tomatoes
1 large yellow onion
Pasta of your choice (I like to use Penne or Rigatoni)
3 tbsp of capers
½ cup of green olives (sliced)
¼ cup of peas
2 hard-boiled eggs (egg whites cubed only)
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp of sugar
¼ cup + 2 tbsp of olive oil extra virgin, divided
¼ red wine vinegar
2 tbsp of water
1. Place the cubed eggplant in a colander and toss well with a sprinkle of salt. Let the eggplant sit for about an hour. Do not rinse the eggplant. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the eggplant on a lined baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and roast for 25-30 minutes or until it looks slightly browned and have shrunk in size.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pan, sauté the chopped onions in ¼ cup of olive oil gently for about 5 minutes. Add in the celery and 2 tablespoons of water and sauté for another 3 minutes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the olives, capers, vinegar, peas, chopped hard-boiled egg whites, and sugar and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the roasted eggplant, stir, and simmer for about another 5 minutes.
5. Allow it to sit and marinate for at least one hour (more time is better). You can leave it on the counter or put it in the fridge for later.
6. In the meantime, cook the pasta with the instructions from the package.
7. Once the pasta is done, drain, and sauté it in with the sauce.
8. Before serving, add a sprinkle of salt, some fresh cracked pepper, olive oil, and fresh basil.
Yummy! Very simple and delicious! If you make this amazing recipe, make sure to tag us @mommymornings on Instagram! Good luck and happy cooking!